Why doesn’t the CATO Institute do anything for Americans Displaced by their policies?

Many American Citizens have been destroyed by (a) jobs being sent offshore via Free Trade Agreements and (b) non-immigrant guest workers brought in to take the remaining jobs leaving the American Displaced from the workforce.

And since we are in a Finite Job Market, the American cannot find a job and the government will not provide unemployment assistance, but they will tell you that you can attend retraining to be a computer programmer because that is a hot job market even though your resume says that you have been a computer programmer for 30 plus years.

You would think that somebody that had deep pockets like the CATO institute would realize this is happening.

But no, they advocate for displacing more Americans.

Several senators have introduced bills this month to prevent the elimination of President Obama’s Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program. DACA has granted work permits and lawful presence to more than 800,0000 young immigrants—known as Dreamers—who were brought to the U.S. as children. It would be an unquestionably positive thing for the United States if one of these bills becomes law, but DACA had a flaw that Congress can correct: it included only those young immigrants who are here illegally, excluding children of immigrants who came to the United States legally.

It may seem that these immigrants do not need help since they have a legal status, but unfortunately, under America’s dysfunctional immigration system, many thousands of young legal immigrants are forced to leave, even though they followed the rules. Because these new bills continue DACA as is, they fail to address this major problem.

Here is how many young legal immigrants end up in this situation. Immigrants often initially enter the United States on work visas, such as the H-1B visa. H-1B visas allow skilled foreign workers to work in the United States for up to six years. Their spouses and minor children can also enter with them on H-4 visas. If an employer sponsors them for a green card—or permanent residency—the H-1B worker with their spouse and minor children can remain in the United States beyond the six-year limit until a green card is available. Then, the worker, their spouse, and minor children can adjust to permanent residency.

This system would work fine in theory. But for various reasons—1) because far more H-1Bs and H-4s are issued than green cards, 2) because the U.S. discriminates against immigrants from populous countries under the “per-country limits,” and 3) because spouses and minor children are not counted against the H-1B limit, but are counted (erroneously) against the green card limit—long backlogs develop for immigrants from certain countries. As I’ve written before, no one even knows how long these legal immigrants will have to wait.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *